Friday, October 19, 2007

My Journey to Nigeria: August 9, 2007

I was greeted back home withe the immense smell of the city we call Lagos.

As I alighted from the airplane surrounded by the throng of human beings I realized that I was indeed home. Everyone around me seemed either tired or irritated and seemed to be on the phone. Here I stood for two whole minutes in the center of the lobby just taking in the busy scene around me before an "Oga sa" in military uniform said "Ejo, aunty can you move other people need to pass" inturrupting my momet of reflection. It was only eight years ago that I stood in the same lobby and yet everything looked the same...

I quickly scurried to join the line of people making thier way to customs.

As we stood in line one of the "professionals" as we will dub him felt it necessary to point out that the light above the customs boothe was out

Professional: We are really back home in Nigeria where everything doesn't work
Military Man: Excuse me sah, can you get in line if you are not a citizen of nigeria?

Professional: Oga, why is it that you cannot put a new light bulb in the overhead light
Civi Servant: Well, we have requested it and no one has responded
Professional: So you cannot afford a light bulb
Military Man: Please sir can you get in line?
Civil Servant: I am just a civil servant sir, just trying to do my job.
Professional : And so? This is the first place that people coming from other countries will see. The first impression of our country shouldn't be that we cannot afford light bulb (people begin to laugh in agreement)
Civil Servant: Well since you are speaking sir, why don't you send money from America and fix the light bulb? Eh? You get mouth just because you landed from Yankee. Because we never leave this place? Are you doing my job....(and he began to wash the man in abuse)

Welcome home!!

Finally going through customs and getting my luggage, I sauntered out and heard my name "Poetic" I turned and there standing in all his cuteness was my Dad. I ran and hugged him leaving my luggage dead smack in the middle of the road. Thankfully, my father who frequents the airport for international travel was able to accust my luggage before the "owners" took a hold of my property.

We quickly "settled" the people and headed home.

I will not regale you on the crazy ass driving in Nigeria and lack of traffic laws or the poverty just outside the gates of our home but i will tell you about the palm trees, the sweat smell of lagos gutters (lol) I joke. I will tell you about my home. Nothing has changed. We pulled into the parking lot and into the driveway and amid me dancing in front of the house with my father and all his freinds that were waiting to welcome me, amid the music and the food and the "iyawo ti de oh" amid all of that, I just started crying. Why?

I was finally home.

My mom arrived a few minutes later and well the rest I leave till tomorrow....

2 comments:

Kafo said...

it is already tomorrow

actually it is THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW

i am whoseying now

Anonymous said...

Like your stuff anyway.
Welcome back to good old Nigeria!

My Playlist