Monday, May 21, 2007

The Graduate

Five long years
Interesting how they rush by
And yet I stand before you a stronger person
Not because of that peice of paper you just handed me
Thinking that peice of paper defines me
Not because I hear the cheers of friends and family
Because thinking they define me is false as well
No!
I stand here because
Five years ago a little girl promised her mother
That she would walk down that road
Hold her head high and attian that dream that most found
Easy to reach
I stand here because as I take that step
From student to teacher I have learned
More from life than this piece of paper
Will ever signify
I have learned that life is not ABC but BJZD
I have learned to take risks with love
And put faith in your own abilities
I have learned that though people
Judge me and take a look
window shopping in my existence
I am still precious
I still a queen I am still the one
And only me
I have realized that no goal is unattainable
Find and seek what you love
And love with all your heart
No sacrifice is to great
No love to small
No heart to big
No mind to simple
No person is beyond this world
So don't take that paper and think it defines me
Don't think this moment defines who I am
Take a real look in my eyes
More is yet to be embraced
Because this element
that we call my life
Was written in my cells
Long before you knew you were going to have me momma
Long before you realized you loved her papa
Long before people came around and called me
Sister, friend, lover and soulmate
Long before spirit and flesh became one in my mother's womb
No!
My heritage is the rebirth of some spirit
That knows no end
And I have come into my own
And allowed the real spirit
The heritage of God's and ancient warriors
To unite and conquer all
So take that middle class small minded America
I made it! before you even existed
I am me! I got the paper but the paper doesn't define me
I define me
I made it!
I always have and always will!

11 comments:

Admin UD said...

Congrats and good luck in ya future endeavours.

? said...

This poem is a honor and a joy.
I love it when poems rhyme. However sometimes I feel as though
I'm precariously walking the tight rope with no net below.

Kafo said...

hmmmmm
i like


beautifully said

? said...

Please update I am getting hungry now. Also you havent stopped at mine lately. You must be very busy. I just hope you are ok and do give me a shout when you read this. Thanks and God bless.

Lady A said...

Well done hon!
Now you can really begin your life.

Standing Truth Betold said...

congratulations

Anonymous said...

congratulations my dear.. i'm soo proud of u...

EDNUTEY said...

congratulations...u will succeed in anything u lay ur hands upon

EDNUTEY said...

ohh nice poem by d way

Noni Moss said...

Love this soo much soo that I want more! It's been 2 months!!! Come on now!

Amelia said...

i like your poems really good.like your blog too.you can read some of my poems on my poetry blog.the link is on my regular blog.tell me what you think

My Playlist